Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Balloon


Today, on the way to KFC, I saw a balloon flying through the sky. It was one of those congratulatory balloons. The thin circular ones that say "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" or "HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!" It brought back thoughts that were pretty buried. I really have no idea why, they're very pleasant thoughts. I was a kid, maybe five or so, and my mother bought me a balloon. It was tall, orange, and zig zagged. Now that I think about it, it was a very interesting balloon. They're usually the typical upside down teardrops... but mom managed to find this kick ass shaped one.
Anyway, she gave it to me for one reason or another while we were in the driveway. I looked at her, then it, then I said "I wanna let it go." She said "It's your balloon. Do whatever you want with it." So I let it go and we both watched it fly higher and higher into the sky until it disappeared. She smiled the whole time.
I think there's a certain joy in letting balloons just sail off into the distance. Sure you payed for it... but you also like to see it fly. One day, I'm going to attach some sort of camera that isn't too heavy for it, and retrieve it and watch what it filmed.
I hate my mother now. I can't stand her. I think she's conniving and shady and mean and makes sure that she comes out on top no matter what. She's just a mean woman.
But we'll always have the balloon...

No comments:

Post a Comment